Friday, November 9, 2012

Boy What A Handful

Autism. Boy What A Handful!


More than ever before children are being diagnosed with  Autism. The CDC estimates 1 in 88 children have been identified on the spectrum which marks a 23% increase from 2009. ASD is 5 times more common in boys (1 in 54) and (1 in 254 girls) http://www.cdc.gov/.  Blacks and Hispanics has the largest increase which is related to better awareness. As the Founder of Autism Advocates in Action Support Group it is noted that majority of the parents who attend my meetings have boys on the spectrum including myself. We exchange ideas and note the differences and always seem to agree with "Boy what a handful". LOL, they really are a handful and we really share, encouragement and continue to educate and advocate for them.

I understand that I/we must stay informed, plan and continue to improve my/our moves and adjust when necessary. With the majority of people not recovering from Autism it is a life long condition in which  I support a certain degree of independence which brings me a certain amount of fulfillment. I encourage you to continue to stay abreast and reach out for help when your child becomes a Handful and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment